How to get your contents claim paid

If you need to make a claim on your home contents policy, you should follow the procedure set out in your policy document. There will be a dedicated number given for reporting claims. You’ll need to quote your policy number when calling.

If you’ve been burgled, your first call should be to the police. They will want to investigate and you will need a crime reference number for your insurer. Act quickly whilst the details are all fresh in your mind.

With household emergencies, don’t do anything without first contacting your insurer. They will talk you through what you need to do and activate your claim.

Top tips
Keep receipts for major purchases, they can provide your insurer with proof of purchase. With items like jewellery, take pictures and save them somewhere secure, and get valuations done by a registered valuer.

Above all, don’t be under insured and don’t opt for the cheapest cover. Getting professional advice will ensure you have the right, most cost-effective policy for your needs.



It is important to take professional advice before making any decision relating to your personal finances. Information within this article is based on our current understanding and can be subject to change without notice and the accuracy and completeness of the information cannot be guaranteed. It does not provide individual tailored investment advice and is for guidance only. Some rules may vary in different parts of the UK.

Start your Journey...


* Required Field

I'm interested in:

The value of pension and investments can fall as well as rise. You may get back less than you invested.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.


You are now departing from the regulatory site of Financial Associates. Neither Financial Associates nor Quilter Financial Planning are responsible for the accuracy of the information contained within the linked site.